Thursday, August 20, 2020

Blue Halo Fly Rod Review 8’ #6

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=17oqzixIp_e41utttqNyQJApQWlBsAVRe

I built an 8’ 6 weight Blue Halo fly rod with components from Proof Fly Fishing.  While I always purchase components from Proof,  I’ve never had a Blue Halo rod much less BH blanks.

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1eDrkPjFFDKXthO1x0OOsaYoLdlNHwDAH

I already built an Epic 686 which to me is a moderate to fast rod.  The Berkley Buccaneer and Berkley Talisman are older rods with a good ol’ sweet feel to them.  Slower glass with a deep bend.  I rebuilt the Talisman and it is such a joy when playing big Smallies.  I like building rods and wanted to know about Blue Halo quality and performance.  And since they have Fast and Slow blanks, I went with something more relaxed or slow - and I built that Epic just last year.  

The quality is pretty good.  Lots of clarity in the rod.  Ferrules seem to be reinforced and have plugs.  A nice and smooth and glossy finish.  Worth the money.
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1Z6YvHKNmJk5K1H4IGKdkHy6wpUgpN5z1  
The performance is great.  It’s a slow rod for sure but not a buggy whip and definitely not as slow as an Eagle Claw Featherlight.  It almost feels a mix between my Fenwick 805 and Berkley Talisman.  The rod loads well with SA Panfish which is a 5/6 line.  It also loads Rio Bass #6 exceptionally well but I may purchase a regular 6 or Rio Smallmouth line.  That Rio Bass seems a bit zingy for me even on the EC Featherlight.
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1q1BS4ikLGys_vqIl93jiowgKnVn4Y57h

Along with some rebuilds, I’ve built on Epic, Proof, Lamiglas and Haldin.  I’ve got McFarland and North Fork Composites (GLoomis) blanks waiting to be built.  And I definitely recommend Blue Halo.
Email me at rzrbk804@yahoo.com if you have any questions.

1 comment:

  1. Josh
    Great craftsmanship in building some quality fly rods---wish I had the talent. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete