Monday, July 27, 2020

Epic Fly Rod Review - 686

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1Dw3MvepBZZdZ439p7gwYJURGe5kKxtHz

I saved up some money and sold some fishing tackle to purchase Epic Fly Rod blanks.  The 476, 580 and 686.  All are top notch fiberglass fly rods.  I’ve had a number of fly rods and 6 weights.  This rod is exceptional.  Sensitive but not overly fast.  With the right line, loads quickly.  I’ve been using SA Panfish 5/6.  I built my 686 with parts from Proof Fly Fishing.  The rod is balanced almost perfectly with an Orvis Hydros.  It’s a strong rod and even those fat panfish will make it bend.  I will describe it as a moderate/fat rod.  It is one of my favorite 6 weights.  As a as matter of fact, I am re-doing the wraps.  I used a thread described as making translucent thread wraps crystal coat but that wasn’t the case on these blanks.  I used that thread when I build two rods on Haldin blanks and it was a pleasant look but not as good as Fish Hawk brand thread.  

In the meantime, I’m using an 8’ 6 wgt Blue Halo that I built.  Blue Halo offers a fast and slow 6 wgt of which I choose the latter blanks.  I’m not a master rod builder but I’m improving.  I’ll also give a review of the BH #6. 

The Epic rods used to be made in NZ by CTS but from my understanding, manufacturing moved to South Korea.  Lots of good and proper fishing tackle comes out of South Korea and these blacks are quality.  The only issue I have with the Epic blanks or any of the new baked on finish types is there is a great chance of it chipping which happened twice on my Epic 580.  I’ve had flies hit my TFO Clouser and GLoomis rods and even other glass rods without any issues.  After many years, I’ve only received chips on the 580 (other than a complete breakage on a TFO Signature Series) and I mainly used weighted or heavy flies.  

Is the rod or blanks or building kit worth all the hype and $$$?  YES.

No comments:

Post a Comment