Saturday, July 25, 2020

Panfish on the Fly - longears

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=18cwUWcAD5lX-WU8MmVa9A24ocPJAsgfy

So this week, I made two trips to the creek.  The first time, I targeted panfish and cache out with a few nice Smallmouth.  The second time, I targeted Smallmouth and caught a couple of beautiful panfish.  

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1WGj1pTUDVtlk2ivua-soKOvfQojICfO0

 Even though I had some panfish specific flies and lost a box full of them on the creeks last visit, both were caught on Pat’s Rubber Legs.  It’s a productive pattern but I’m looking to expand my fly selection.  I did add a few RIo Getters and Carp-It Bombs last year but only had a few in my lost Fly box that somehow slipped out of my sling pack.

Yesterday, I began tying up those Rio Getters and Carp-It Bombs.  The first fish I caught on the Rio Getters was a Smallmouth. The Rio Getter is designed for Rio Cichlids.  And obviously, the other pattern is specifically for Carp but other species chase them too.  Initially, when I first targeted panfish, I was using trout flies and patterns found in Tom Nixon’s Fly Fishing and Fly Tying for Bass and Panfish which I had found in my local library.

I prefer to catch panfish on 2, 3, and 4 weight rods.  I specifically built a 3 and 2/3 weight rods.  As a matter of fact, I purchased some of the finest US made 3 weight blanks to build on.  That rod might see some trout action but it will be rare.  I do have an Epic 476 that is great for smallmouth and panfish.  And with a click and pawl reel.

More to come from my Ozark streams.  Whether it’s fishing, hiking, floating or whatever, I hope you enjoy your time outdoors.

1 comment:

  1. Josh
    Those have got to be some of the most colorful sunfish I've ever seen. I land a few on my home lake but they're are not colored up like the ones you've featured. Did you keep them or release them? Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete