Sunday, July 26, 2020

Long time since Tom Nixon

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1rWQwKaonvSc7BQ_HgXNa16W8Q251coyP

Pictured above is a pattern similar to a Tom Nixon fly I used to tie.  The Calcasieu Pigboat which is similar to a jig and pig or Hawaii Wiggler lure.  I learned of Tom Nixon and his flies from a book I found at the library.  I do believe that was about 20 years ago.

I found out about Ehler’s Grim Reaper - which is similar to a Pigboat - in a magazine.  It is a new addition to my fly box.  Right now, I’m only tying them in chartreuse or brown.  

When I tie this pattern, it reminds my of Tom Nixon and his Pigboat.  The Reaper is different but fundamentally the same.  There are some Reaper tying videos out there.  Sharing this pattern with the chance someone else gets to try something new and interesting.  Initially, I tied these up for largemouth bass.  And I’ve only caught a few bucketmouths with this fly but I figured that it would be something neat to try out for Smallmouth Bass.  It’s nice not having to cast these with an 8 weight from a kayak but instead with a 6 weight and wading on a creek.

I remember loading my box up with patterns from Tom Nixon’s book and hitting a local creek.  It was about the same time I also moved an online warmwater group.  Several years later, I participated in a few Tom Nixon Fly swaps.  Man, warmwater flies have come long way such as all the new articulated flies.   And, especially with the influence of social media and the advancement of some tying materials.

Try adding this pattern to your fly box.  




No comments:

Post a Comment