Sunday, January 27, 2019

Echo Bad Ass Glass - Fiberglass Fly Rods and Smallmouth Bass

Last Spring, I injured my knee and my ankle. I was laid up for a month before heading off to Canada for mountain biking, hiking, urban exploring and the likes of physical exertion my ankle wasn't ready for but knee had mostly healed.  I then spent the summer riding my mountain bike to strengthen my knee.  Then I was ready for Fall.  When Labor Day came, I was up for a great amount of wade fishing.  At least 2 days a week.  Sometimes, 3 or 4 outings of about two to four hours.

I haven't been regular in blog posts but there are a lot of outings and photos from last Fall to share.  One of my goals last year was to fish as many fiberglass fly rods that I could.  After all, I had spent time collecting them and rebuilding one of them in the Winter.


The last 2 posts have patterns and photos of fish from the Fall. I will say that it was the most productive year for Smallmouth fishing that I have had since 2013 and possibly EVER.  I did catch a lot of good size creek Smallies.  Lots of good 12"-13" inchers with some 14"-15' and even a good 16".

While there are a lot of really good fly fisherman out there and some folks that know how to hit those fatties, I think that I've really found how to fish local Ozark creeks for bass and panfish.  And that's mainly how I fish.  Creeks and a few streams here and there.

Over the next month, I will do reviews of such rods as old Fenwicks, newer cheap China made, mass produced rods, new glass and the such - and even another rebuild and new builds.  I would say that the Echo BAG surprised me with trout and smallmouth - and yes, even on panfish.  And WOW, do I have an amazing "on stream" photo with the ECHO BAG.

AND, I've got to start throwing in some tomato growing and salsa recipes  . . .  and okra too.  yup, a little gardening. 

Cheers.

4 comments:

  1. Josh
    Give me a smallie 14 to 15" on the fly rod anytime instead of a really huge fish on the fly. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! Looking forward to your future posts! I am a huge fan of glass. I have a small collection going of less expensive rods. Been thinking about adding some nicer and more vintage ones as well. Your echo b.a.g. quickshot been good to you? I am thinking about grabbing a 6wt sometime.

    Thanks a bunch!
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to respond late. It is a fun rod. Durable. Go for it.

      Delete
  3. The greatest demand for an acoustical coating is to refinish the surface of a product that has an acoustical property (it absorbs sound) and the intent is to apply this new finish without damaging the sound absorbing quality. Acoustics Cyprus

    ReplyDelete