Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Lamson Konic II Review - Lamson Fly Reels



Lightweight, dependable and a lifetime warranty - all the things you look for in a reel.  No, this reel is not made in America and no longer in the Lamson line-up.  However, the Lamson Konic can still be purchased as a new item and at a great price.  I had the Lamson LP 1.5 - from back in the day and loved it!  Great sound, light weight and lovely drag.  I used it for trout, smallmouth, panfish - and more - all on a rod my father built for me.

Lamson LP reel


"Konic delivers smart design and high performance in Lamson’s most affordable reel. The same, super-smooth, fully sealed conical drag system and stainless roller clutch used in our more expensive reels are matched with machined components and pressure cast ALDC12 aluminum alloy spool and frame. Konic is anodized then finished with a 100% solid polyurethane coating to resist gouging and abrasion."




Sure, you can buy some pretty darn nice brand-new reels for about what these Lamson Konics II are selling for but it's the lightness of the reel that attracts me.  WHY?  I want a light combo - I bought a TFO Signature Series II and an Allen Trout 2 reel.  Honestly, the reel was a bit heavy - even for CNC and even for a reel that balanced out with the rod.  I have a GLoomis Adventure 3 that is obviously smaller than the Trout 2 that is very lightweight.  I have even used my father's GLoomis Adventure 5 and remember that is almost seems to weigh as much as my Cortland Crown II.  I'm not knocking Allen too hard and I love the Trout 2 drag - heck I even have the Allen ATS.

Waterworks Lamson Konic II Fly Reel
Specifications
ModelWidth
(in.)
Diameter
(in.)
Weight
(oz.)
Line Wt.Capacity
(yds.)
1.5 II1.00"3.10"4.403-4 wt.WF4+100 (12)
2 II1.10"3.40"4.705-6 wt.WF6+100 (20)
3.5 II1.22"3.70"6.107-8 wt.WF8+200 (20)
4 II1.25"3.90"6.809-10 wt.WF10+240 (30)

Drag - Sealed.  Easy to configure from RHW to LHW (which I've done cuz I used to adjust drags with my left hand) smooth (and obviously depends how you control the drag and play the fish) - and obviously will be a smooth drag cuz it's Lamson and when you spend at lesat $100 on a reel, the drag will be proper.  I used the drag every now and again but mostly on the trout river with those big Brown Trout and that little fiberglass rod.  It's a hansome reel that will match most any rod - it's not orange or pink or blue.  And it's not a $300 reel that you'll cry over when you fall and scar up the anodized finish, lol.  Lamson obviously focuses all their attention to reels and provides a quality product.

Spool - No knobs to unscrew or switches to push.  Firmly pull the reel off or snap into place.

The Lamson Konic II paired with my TFO Clouser provides a lovely lightweight combo - one of which I don't feel like I have to grip hard or think about the weight of the reel on the back of my palm (and I don't have a sore palm from gripping the rod hard) - and I swear the Allen Trout 2 (5.42 oz.) and TFO Signature Series II were balanced.

Tight lines.

6 comments:

  1. Josh
    Thanks for the review, I need a smaller fly reel and the 3/4 wt. is the one I will look at purchasing----I have added your blog to my blog roll, look forward to some great post!! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Josh, it's me Grandpa Mel (a.k.a. The Pond Stalker). I have been away from the blogging scene for awhile dealing with life..... But, I am back and hopefully, better than ever. Great to connect with your blog again. I have a lot of reading to do here to get caught up on. I have a new blog and address. Feel free to drop over and check it out. The blog is called "Fly Tyin' Times". Here is the link: www.flyfishintimes.com I have added your blog to my BlogBuddies list and will be back often. Thanks again, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gotcha updated in the blogroll.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thoughtful blog, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete