Wednesday, December 28, 2022

Pistol Petes for trout and more.





I went fishing about a month ago. Worden’s Rooster Tails, Wooly Buggers and Pistol Petes.  2 were caught on a black Bugger and the other was a yellow polka dot Rooster Tail.  Generally, I use a fly rod for my Pistol Petes.  My “go-to” is a black Wooly Bugger on the fly rod.  Pistol Petes are my #2 fly pattern for trout.  Generally for my spinning rod.

Spinning Rod

I use a split shot. about 4 inches from the Pistol Pete or Bugger.  Sometimes, I use a swivel.  I just started using them last year.  Don’t know why it took so long.  You could substitute the swivel for the split shot.  I also do this with my Rooster Tails.  I like them to stay down and depending on your retrieve, it can bring up the Pistol Pete in the water column.  I do use a peg cork to indicate nibbles and bites.  Sometimes, I use a start and stop retrieval.  At times, I also wait to reel in the fly just to give fish a chance to check things out. Since I use a lead weight and peg cork, I rarely use casting bubbles.  It wouldn’t hurt to use one.

When tying Pistol Petes, some use lead wire for more weight.  I do too.  

Lakes - I just cast out where they may be.  Sometimes, walking the bank, I cover as much water as possible.  Never hanging out too king in one spot.  My retrieval rates vary.  Slower on warmer days.

Tailwaters - It won’t hurt to drift the Pistol Pete.  Trout tend to use as little as energy as possible when feeding.  Cast and reel how you feel.  Get that fly down when you can.

Warmwater species - On lakes, ponds and creek: cast however you want and vary retrievals and utilize water column as you see fit.  

Fly rod

For trout, I mainly use a 5 wgt with WF floating line.  I use size 6, 8 and 10 Pistol Petes.  When fishing for Smallies and warmwater species, I mostly use a 6 wgt rod.

Lakes - I strip slowly.  I take my time and feel for the nibbles.

Tailwaters - I don’t use this on tailwaters but it won’t hurt to try it.  I would drift it and then strip it in.  Wait until you’ve drifted before stripping.

Warmwater species - On lakes, ponds and creek: cast however you want and vary retrievals and utilize water column as you see fit.

Notes:

Use different colors.  Utilize the water column.  Use casting bubbles, peg corks, weights OR don’t.  Try different retrievals and don’t stick with unproductive water.  Save money and tie your own Pistol Petes.  They sure aren’t cheap.  In the 2nd photo, you may notice a jig or “jig Bugger”.  I tied that one and have caught trout on it.  I not only cast jigs with a spinning rod but also a fly rod.  The Pistol Petes were also tied by me.  You can find lots of tying videos on YouTube.

I’ve got a warmwater Pistol Pete post here.  https://purposehere.blogspot.com/2012/08/pistol-pete-thanks-for-reassurance.html?m=1




No comments:

Post a Comment