Friday, March 3, 2023

Vintage Fly Rod - Berkley Spartan

 



Seven years ago, I bought this rod on eBay. I really like this model and even rebuilt one. I also have the Talisman which is the same thing. I did strip the Talisman down and probably need to do a second coat of Citristrip. I haven’t fished a Spartan in a few years.


The green rod is the Talisman that I stripped down to the tobacco blanks.



I was thinking of using my rebuilt Cortland 502 a lot more . It was the first rod I ever built (rebuilt). It’s been about 4 years since it’s seen action. But I also love the action of these Spartans of which I have a few. The older Spartan models. Not the stiff Taiwan models.  

Conflicted. May use both but I do know that the Rio Bass line is perfect for loading on the Spartan.

Planning out my year. Almost time to hit the creeks for wet wading. I have retuned to work in January. Had my knee replacement late September. I was semi-retired but things have changed. As they have for a lot of folks these days. I no longer hop in the truck and rush off to fish whenever I get the urge. It’s nice to make these plans. Makes one appreciate it more. I’ll have the summer off.  

Anyways, thinking of taking out the Spartan and not only targeting warm water species but specifically chasing Chubs. Lots of fun when you hook the fat ones.

I’ve done some bank fishing but am looking forward to seeing how well I can wade and balance myself when wade fishing on this knee replacement.

The tuna can will be replaced with either and Ocean City or another Martin. Just depends on the needs of the day. More Spartan reports to come.

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment