Friday, February 15, 2013

Bluegill Flies - rock bass, goggleye, warmouth, panfish . . .



I forgot that there were some flies that had been tied up a few weeks ago.  I really need to hit the vise and put a box together.  I have such a hodge podge of flies but nothing really consistent with panfish flies.


I am so excited to prepare for Year of the Bluegill!  Planning bluegill outings kind of takes a bit of stress out of fly fishing because I tend to put a bit of pressure upon myself.  This is due to the fact that I really don't feel that I'm not fly fishing unless I'm landing smallmouth bass.  I don't mind when it's just panfish I'm chasing - as long as it's close to home.  With fuel prices as they are, I tend to mix it up between bass and panfish.  Plus, I feel that sometimes, I do measure myself against other fly fisherman.  And it seems that even the good ones can go out and land carp when they want to do it.  I chased bluegills and sunfish so much that it almost became redundant.  I bragged about catching fat panfish and pushed fly patterns, etc.  But after a while, it would seem that most fly fishers weren't as enamored with bluegills and panfish as much as myself.  In speaking with fellow fisherman, I decided to give them something that would hush them up.  I went all out for smallmouth.  These guys always land largemouth and panfish on lakes.  I decided to change it up.  There are so many folks out there hitting impoundments and landing laremouth and spotted bass but not much smallmouth bass.  Everyone knows that smallmouth bass are amazing fighters.  I finally showed those guys, lol.  However, it seemed that I did burn myself out last year.



My strategy for landing fish went from fishing everynow and then to every week . . . and then several times a week.  I figured the more time on the water, the better the chance to land good fish.  I've scoped out every stream, lake, pond and puddle between here and kingdom come.  I don't care if it's a tiny stream, I've learned how to pluck panfish out of most places.  I enjoy fishing odd spots.



So, here I go again.  Another year.  Winter is coming to and end . . . what winter??  I didn't hit the trout stream which I had planned to do with my father.  White bass will begin to run soon.  Bass and panfish will soon by tugging on the line.


This year, whatever happens, happens.  My sons and I will be catching bluegills and I'm sure a few bass will take some flies too.  All I know is that my favorite fishing spot will still be there . . . all year.

6 comments:

  1. Josh
    Those flies would be perfect to hit the deeper areas off the banks. They should get the attention of the really big boys before they spawn. What weight fly rod do you plan to use with these flies? Great job on tying those---- Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm gonna try the 3 wgt. Want a great fight!

      Delete
  2. Nice looking bugs!!! I'm with ya...can't wait to hit the gills!'

    ReplyDelete
  3. I flyfish for bluegills and crappies much of the time, but soon get bored and have to chase other species as well. It isn't really the FISH that make it boring (Bluegills and Crappies ARE fun!)...I think maybe its a change of location I need to keep things interesting? Like you, I've fished nearly every likely looking body of water nearby. Likewise on my blog, I think folks get tired of reading the posts about panfish. But then those same guys will get all fired up about catching bluegills during the ice-fishing season. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to change it up a bit. Tired of hitting the same stream.

      Delete