Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Average Joe's Fishin Poles - Did some thinking too.


Back in 2011, I was catching fish in March.  Not a little but a lot of crappie and bluegills were caught.  The past two years, we've had a late winter followed by cold snaps and even flooding.  Not only the crappie fishing at this pond but also at several local lakes has been thrown off with the temperature not staying either warm nor cold for more than about 3 days at a time.


I caught these fish in several different outings which began in early March because we were having stable weather and things were warming up properly.  Now, it seems that we are moving from almost no spring and right into summer - temps being about 85 or higher the past few days and through next week.


The fish in these photos were caught in a manner that I call "hammering the water".  It's going out and casting over and over and stripping and stripping to  make things happen.  I actually dragged a brick on twine to slow my drift so that I could cast along the bank where the crappie where hanging out.  It was very windy on the morning I caught the most and biggest ones.  I was frustrated the kayak was being blown around and that the water was coming into my kayak and I was cold and wet - but I kept going.  My dad wants to go fishing with me and I always say that it's not going to be easy and we've got to hit the water hard and keep hammering away until something happens.  I was driven - really driven.  And now, I'm spoiled on several good years followed by an amazing year.

So, it comes down to learning this - I've got to spend more time on things that are more fruitful like the family.  I also spent time with the local club teaching kids how to cast a fly rod.  One boy really wanted to talk to his dad about buying him a fly rod.  That made my day.  I have caught tons of fish by hitting lakes and ponds and streams and creeks.  I've got tons of pictures too but at a point where you're not satisfied with your hobby, perhaps it's time to do something more fulfilling.  The high points of yesterday's outing was not just that I actually had an amazing fish on but that I spoke with some of the floaters and got to listen to two older women argue about where to hang a hammock.  It was an absolutely beautiful day and I ruined it by expecting a fish to place itself on my fly.  Spoiled.  Sure, I'm not landing trophies but at my age, I've got some maturing to do.


My Panfish on the Fly rod should arrive today!!  Phillip at Average Joe's Fishin Poles https://www.facebook.com/AverageJoesFishinPoles has me this wonderful rod that I just can't wait to cast.  I've got to find a proper reel with character to match with this glass rod.  

3 comments:

  1. Josh, anxious to see your new rod in action, and, I expect the fishing is going to take off for the better also. Nothing wrong with reflection and re-evaluation. I have done that all my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Josh, the only thing I'm reflecting on is how to get out and join you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would be nice to fish with you. Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete