Tuesday, July 7, 2020

Panfish pariah?


https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1hR4s4eJ8At_gMOyruq_dJAwTgB3S8GAY
Those lowly panfish.  Well, that’s how I feel when taking to certain folks or strangers on the stream.  Yesterday, I bumped into a fella on the stream targeting rock bass.  Good to see him releasing those Smallmouth Bass.  Most folks I run into in this watershed are targeting Smallies.  Seemingly, most that I can see are releasing - I’ve got no issues with legal harvest.

number of fly fisherman I speak to seem to wanna chase trout and smallmouth but don’t really care about specifically targeting panfish.  I think part of it is they haven’t had the right rod for it.  Just the other day, I posted a lovely longear on FB and someone commented “Bait”.  I’ve got thick skin and have seen worse comments but his was typical.  Even on the water, I do see folks calling Panfish, bait fish.  Over a decade ago and the last time I ever fished with my neighbor was when he would throw panfish as far as he could throw them.  He wanted bass and had been skunked all day.  I had caught Crappie and was fine with it.  That guy was a flake.

Growing up where I did, you got trout.  And that was it.  There were a few other lakes further out in the province with Kokanee but nobody wanted those fish.  I was happy to catch them - and throw them back.  But we didn’t get much of a choice to what was going to end up on the line.

For panfish,  I used to use Flies that were found in Fly Fishing and Fly Tying for Bass and Panfish by Tom Nixon.  Over the past few years, I’ve changed things up a bit.  Now, I’ve got some Predators tied by a buddy.  They are a top water pattern.  Also, he ties up a pattern he calls the Road Runner which I might share in about we post.  It has rubber legs and a rabbit strip tail.  I also use Pat’s Rubber Legs and Bitch Creek Nymphs a lot.

I’ve also had success with the Carp-it Bomb and Rio Gitter flies which has me tying up a few patterns similar to carp patterns influenced by those 2 patterns mentioned above.  Last week, I targeted Longears.  Very frustrating.  They seem to be exhibiting late post spawn activity.  

What patterns do you use for longears?


1 comment:

  1. Josh
    If you follow by blog you will notice I am into fly fishing for the bluegill. In fact this fish is the only fish I fish for most of the time during the spring months. Those fly fishermen who don't give the bluegill a try are missing out on some fantastic action. Especially when you are landing the super size gills. Can you post some of the flies you are using to fish for the bluegill? Thanks for sharing and giving this fish some love!!

    ReplyDelete