Sunday, October 18, 2020

Been a while.

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1yJx523tH8NXtGf9-YBLGfpgb2yODv5dZ

Been a while since I fished the local Tailwaters.  I’ve been fishing other Tailwaters within the White River watershed - not much but they’ve been very productive over the years.

When we moved to the States, my father started fishing the local tailwater in the early 90’s.  He eventually began driving past to the other Tailwaters.  His theory is that quality fishing began to decline once they began opening the dam gates for extended periods of time.  For such reasons as flooding within the watershed, extended rainfalls, etc.  The stream bed began to be scoured and the aquatic environment changed for the worse.  Some folks opinions tend to differ.  I began fishing it in the early 00’s and it was never as productive for me as other Tailwaters.

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1j4r8GpjYgPLWuRj3HHYx7CFmMG5uPe98

Over the past few years, fishing has improved. Stream bank restoration and habitat improvements are planned and have begun below the dam.  

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1LFQRVR8Fm6AorcRNLfdhpoIGt8-3k8Vn

I caught a few.  It’s been 15 years since I’ve fished this tailwater.  And in one hour, it was decided that I would return.  One hour and several fished played and a few fish landed.  In speaking with my father that evening, he muttered about having good days and bad days.  I know he still doesn’t think much of that location but maybe I can get him to return.  I have several friends that have been doing very well at several other points along the tailwater.  This may give me something else to do this winter.

I usually wait for warmwater fishing but this will do nicely.  Might even take the kids out to drift some flies.  Y2K and a copper and black midge were effective.

1 comment:

  1. Those are some nice trout you landed. Tailrae fishing like you said can be unpredictable, especailly those with a lot of fishing pressure. Congrats on the catch--thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete