Tuesday, August 31, 2010

What it may all be about.

I began this blog for folks who are learning to fly fish. Watching Anthony Bourdain right now. It reminds me of making trips out to new locations and trying new fly patterns. When I moved to the South from Canada, I was intrigued by bass bugs. Even more interesting were those little panfish.

The local fly shops only offered trout flies - with the occasional white bass and panfish selection. Eventually one of them moved into bass flies. I went to the internet to find my flies - grass roots research. I became involved in fly swaps. It was interesting to find out what types of custom fly patterns anglers were tying for their favorite warm water species.

I hit the message board and online groups to learn the techniques folks were using to land fish. I do consider myself untraditional. There are a lot of books out there about fly fishing for trout, salmon,etc.

Sure, there titles on warm water species but you won't find most of them at the Barnes & Nobles. Especially when your looking for panfish flies - even crappie flies; you just won't find but a couple of titles - heck, maybe just one specifically.

I seem to find myself to be of a rare sort of fly fisherman. Sure, I see the occasional fly angler, mostly during the white bass run. There are a few of us that hit local water such as streams behind grocery stores or those good locations wedged between two highways and a local golf course.

I never saw anyone doing what I was, fly fishing from a boat - except on Lake Swepco. Maybe it's just not common in Arkansas or the Ozarks. I am sure the Kings River and Clear Creek are fished quite often by fly fisherman. Heck, even the Elk River too.

But, I don't float these streams with groups nor network to find the best locations. I hunt. I go out and figure things out on my own. Most of the time.

I've kinda fallen of the intellectual and instructional aspects of this blog. I am trying to keep it simple and offer up patterns that I use. I'm one of these guys that will fish just about anywhere but that means having a diverse selection of flies - and I like to have custom flies - bluegill flies - flies for dirty water and tight, slippery, nasty places to fish.

After all, isn't part of the adventure just figuring out where to go and what to use??

2 comments:

  1. yessir....and you're right...custom one off bass bugs is where it's at....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with everything you have said. I fish on two different lakes here in Alabama one a small lake maybe 160 areas and the other is Smith Lake Reservoir an extremely clear lake. Neither lake ever sees fly fisherman. When I am on either lake fishing the fly they look at me like I am from another planet. But that is o.k. with me because I am always catching fish when everyone else is casting those large bass lures and coming up empty. I use a variety of warm water flies and all work to perfection for me most of the time when the fish are on. I have had great success on large poppers lately. I did a post about 2 weeks ago dealing with poppers. You can check out the post here at http://btrussell-fishingthroughlife.blogspot.com/ I have also caught some nice spots on wooly buggers. I also agree with you about the limited amount of information out there concerning warm water fishing. I have kind of inventive some of the techniques I use with the fly when I am fishing warm water. I have found if you can use at least a 10 ft. leader with any nymph pattern you are ahead of the game, because you need the extra tippet to get deeper. Using a tungsten bead heads is perfect for nymphing because of the fast drop rate. I have caught twice as many fish with the tungsten as when the traditional bead heads. Really enjoyed your post.

    ReplyDelete