Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Crazy Charlie - Panfish on the Fly - Fly Fishing


https://joshs-flies.myshopify.com/

I tried to take a picture of the fly several times but this is what you get with a phone. Although, the fish came out great. The Crazy Charlie is a simple pattern but is a killer on white bass if you use chartreuse and red.

Hook - size 8
Eyes - dumbbell/bead chain
Thread - yellow or which ever you choose.
Body - Silver chenille
Wing - Mallard flank
Tail - flashabou

It's way too windy - much more windy than yesterday. I still need to make an anchor for the kayak. I've got a lot on my plate today . . . guess I may not fish today but will probably take the kids out to the pond tomorrow. It's supposed to be 75 today - that water is still a bit chilly - late warm up from having a late winter(s), lol.

I was casting out into about 5 to 6 feet of water and stripping this fly in slowly as to land crappie. They were short striking and tugging a tiny bit. I landed a bunch of undersized crappie. They weren't schooling around any structure - at least, I didn't see any structure. I am used to landing them on Clousers - pink and chartreuse Clousers but the Crazy Charlie fly will do.

2 comments:

  1. Are you tying those yourself? If so, it is always nice to catch them on flies you tied. What size are you tying the Clousers up in for the Crappie?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Size 6 to 8 - but I mostly purchase them.

    ReplyDelete