Sunday, February 9, 2014

Small streams & different water.




It's been a few months and I've been tying up flies for my smallmouth fly boxes.  As usual, I've loaded them up with terrestrials and heavy flies.  I've got some bluegill patterns tied up too.  The Juicy Foam Fly will be doing a lot of work for me as well as the Seek & Destroy.  I've been tying up some Panfish Charleys for crappie too.

(My copy of the Orvis Cartoon Hopper)

I noticed that there will be a few more accesses to some streams that I like to fish and a few I haven't waded yet.  It makes me excited to go out for panfish on small streams.  It is so relazing to me when I can cast a light rod and catch fiesty bluegills and pumpkinseeds with the occasional bass tugging the line.  I especially enjoy not having to navigate deep or swift water.  Some of these streams are absolutely beautiful.  I also found that while I can no longer go one way, I can go back downstream where the occasional smallmouth bass can be found.

While I've been hitting larger streams, I've been missing out on the smaller creeks and haven't been landing as many panfish as I have in the past.  I have had a lot of success landing smallmouth over the past few years and am ready to chang things up.  My spring location has been virtually halted and I have found another place to try out.

My go-to pond may have recovered from an algae bloom from upstream construction and highway expansion.  Newly placed boulders and large rocks now line what was a muddy bank.  That will provide some new cover and structure for fish.  I just ordered some Boogle Bugs and cannot wait for this winter weater to go away!!

I'm a lot more comfortable just chasing panfish instead of having to land smallmouth bass.  I've finally come to terms that I may actually be a pretty decent fly fisherman and am comfortable just tying on something for bluegills or having a day just for panfish.  I used to get ticked off if I didn't land a bass or have a good spring.  To tell you the truth, I haven't been smallmouth skunked since about 2011.  I've proven myself to my Instagram and Facebook followers - not to mention friends, family and the guys at the fly shop.  So, I feel it's time to relax and enjoy each outing more than I probably would have in the past.

 A crappie fly based off the Panfish Charley.

6 comments:

  1. Thank yoi for being a good source for me to share my enjoyment of Bluegill and warm water flyfishing & flytying. We share the pashion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really nice looking ties! Have you ever tried articulated flies for Smallies?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have tied Double Deceivers, Articulated Circus Peanuts, Butt Monkeys and a few others. But - I always end up switching back to my go to fly. Sometimes, I need to use floating line and don't want to switch out with sinking.

      Delete
  3. Hi, My names juan and I blog over at Breaking the Bank. Feel free to stop by!

    I started fly fishing last year but have yet to get into any SM or LM Bass. I have gotten into a few blue gill and green sunfish. I look forward to reading more of your blogs since apparently you know what you're doing!! Great looking patterns, man!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That last fly reminds me of a pattern called the Carp Candy, not sure if you are into carp fishing but that pattern tied in rust orange or black is killer. Also if you get the chance shoot me an email at bdale@ku.edu I would like to order a few flies and talk to you about another pattern. Also here is the link to that Carp Candy: http://freestateflyfishers.org/flies/fly-patterns/mikes-carp-candy/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Atlas, thanks for the link. Those flies have some color that make them pop. I bookmarked it for reference. I am sending you an email now from rzrbk804@yahoo.com.

      Delete