Sunday, August 19, 2018

New at Rod Building - Me too.

My comleted rod build.

This winter, I did a rod rebuild.  A first for me.  I had read "Handcrafting A Graphite Fly Rod" by L.A.Garcia over and over again at work.  My father used it to craft a rod for me and passed the book on.  I also watched numerous videos online.  Since I wasn't sure if I had the patience much less the skill, I then looked for a cost effective (but not overly cheap) way to build my first rod.

Obviously, this isn't an in-depth guide to rod building.  It's not overly complicated and you'll need some patience.  Don't rush the build.  Do research and planning before you start.

Items you will need - the obvious.
  • rod blank
  • snake guides
  • stripping guide(s)
  • tip top
  • reel seat
  • handle
  • hook keeper
Items you need to craft the rod. - *YOU CAN BUY KITS
  • wrapping tool (you can do wraps without a tool)
  • rasp
  • masking tape
  • epoxy
  • thread wrap
  • thread finish
  • thread sealer - to hold color of thread but some threads don't need it - RESEARCH!
  • burnishing tool
  • winding check (optional)
  • thread clippers
  • thread pick
  • tip-top adhesive
  • mixing cups
  • mixing sticks
  • finishing brushes
My blank  -  I bought a 8' fiberglass Cortland 502 for $8 at an antique mall.  The first outing I caught Smallies and immediately fell for the rod.  It was falling apart and knew that it was going to be rebuilt at some point  - and it only took 2 1/2 years to actually pull the trigger.

Stripping a rod down for a rebuild is a whole other part which I may post later.  It may or may not include a stripping agent and then varnish . . .   you get it.  As I mentioned, didn't want to invest too much because a rod blank can be costly depending on build.


The handle is dried out, wraps are dried out and cracking, reel seat and handle had to be re-epoxied, a guide was broken, stripping guide was rusted - you get the picture.


I stripped down a rod that I knew would be worth the rebuild but wouldn't be a complete loss if it was a disaster of a build.  I spent only $8 on the rod.


Before doing the build, I made test wraps to see if they would match.


This is before the thread finish is applied.


I decided to place thread finish over the wraps and the logo to save what was left of this rod and the fact it was Made in the USA.


A finished product.  I added a hook keeper, replaced the guides and handle but kept the reel seat.  I added another stripping guide - 2 stripping guides for a slower action rod that required a 7 ATMA level line.  I can now use 5 or 6 weight lines which loads and casts quicker - which is partially due to the fact I added one more guide.  Originally, there was only 5 guides, 1 stripping guide and a tip-top.  The line did slap or wrap around the blank between the stripping guide and handle.  This rod is a 5/6 weight rod with a good deep flex that is sensitive and fun on large or small fish and can casts large or small flies.

I used a hand wrapper from Mudhole. I bought the building kit with a 9 hp dryer.  With a promo of free shipping if purchase of $100 or more I spent about $125 with $79 going to the wrapping kit and dryer.  Obvisouly, it's a good investment for the rod dryer.  AND, it came with an instructional CD.  I will suggest that you buy the rod dryer because it beats the heck out of turning it every once in a while and prevents dripping and running and provides a cleaner and more uniform finish on wraps.

Along with many other rod building tutorials from multiple users, Mudhole has some instructional videos on YouTube.  I took my time on this build.  I watched Mudhole's video as I built for reference.  Make sure you research the type of rod blank you need and that the thread is going to look good because you don't want no ugly rod.  Mudhole and other sites have info on measurements for guide spacing and they have great customer service.  Proof Fly Fishing has good products and Matt is very helpful too.  Look around at different suppliers for your needs because every builder is different and every build is unique.

If can build a rod, you can too.














1 comment:

  1. Josh
    Amazing job that takes a lot of patiences and determination. The reward is landing that first trout using a fly rod you created. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete