Friday, July 27, 2012

Ramblings and such.

https://joshs-flies.myshopify.com/

I caught this smallmouth bass a few evenings ago.  It rained yesterday for the first time in ages.  I may head out this evening and see if the current has picked up.

I'm sure folks are sort of tired when viewing smallmouth pics on my blog.  It used to be that I landed more panfish than bass.  I've been thinking about challenging myself to catch 100 panfish.  I got the idea from fellow blogger Bill Trussell.  He's working towards catching 100 bluegills.  I'm gonna try to catch crappie, pumpkinseed, warmouth etc.

I bought a couple of Sear, Roebucks & Co. reprint catalogs from 1900 and 1909.  Not only were bamboo fishing rods sold but steel rods, too.  I did notice a "Pocket Fly Rod" which is a 9 piece fly rod.  In relation to the prices of spinning rods, the fly rods and reels were just about the same price.  If you have the chance, you have got to read those catalogs because there is so much that you wouldn't think would be available at that time.

Rubber bass lures were listed in the catalog - mainly frog and cricket patterns for about 60 cents.  Baseballs are still about the same price though.  Sears had so many buildings, it's own post office, train and fire brigade.

Sears, Roebuck catered to the inner city and folks on the farm.  Obviously, if you couldn't get it at the local merchant, you ordered it from Sears and Roebuck or similar mail-order businesses.  Just imagine ordering a rod and waiting for it - who knows how long - could've been 4 - 6 weeks.

Now, most of us have the local fly shop or sporting goods store.  You would think that we might be a bit spoiled when it comes to the selection of sporting goods brands or items.  But if you look at some old Sears catalogs, you could pretty much get most of what you needed - football spikes, atheletic supporters - even stage tights!!  When I was growing up in British Columbia, we didn't have fly shops.  Even when I moved to Arkansas, they were just opening up.  I remember the Woodsman at Central Mall in Fort Smith, AR - it's still there.  But when they opened, there was a lot of fly fishing equipment and a good selection of trout flies.  That amazed me.  I used to have to tie my own flies and viewing all the different kinds of flies astounded me.

Duane Hada was a guide on the White for Trout and waded for smallmouth on Crooked Creek.  I think he moved back there after opening and managing The Woodsman.  He and my father started up the fly fishing club in Fort Smith.  For a while, my father was club president.

Anyway, A new Cabela's opens in a week or two.  Academy opened year before last.  I can also run down to the fly shop.  I'm not sure if I could wait for items to arrive from Sear and Roebuck.

4 comments:

  1. I have been thinking about the 100panfish challenge too. I think it may be a little too late in the year for me to do it. I might try it next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll have to do it! I have some prime water in which to find them. Perhaps, when it cools down I'll make a trip out.

      Delete
  2. Josh
    I want make the quest this year, the big boys have moved into water 30 to 40 ft. eep and the spawn is over. I will do a post in the coming days about the quest. I missed it last year because of the all the tornadoes and ended that quest with 86--I will be trying the same thing next year, and I am glad I will you guys will be making the quest with me. By the way Academy Sports is beyond good when it comes to fishing supplies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps, . . . just a thought, if you floated or waded a stream. The fish are stacking up in holes and aren't so deep. Thx.

      Delete