Thursday, March 28, 2013

The bluegill that got away! #yearofthebluegill


Last year, we didn't have a late winter or cold fronts in March that affected stream temperatures.  I definitely felt the cold today.  Right through my pants and long handles!  Especially, as I waded chest deep for fat panfish.

I caught several decent panfish but the one I really wanted to capture on my phone flopped his way out of my grip as I reached in my pocket.  Sure, this bass in the photo was near the top of my list but that bluegill is why I really went out this morning.

The fish are still holding in deep spots near the banks and holding tight to structure.  I was catching fish from against brick structuring and fallen timber.  They really aren't doing much in the riffles.  Every now and then, fallfish and small bass would scurry after my Boogle Bug as it drifted in the current.

#YearoftheBluegill is going to be a challenge.  In reality, I am doing the #YearofthePanfish.  I went to a location where I know large panfish can be caught.  The large ones that are bigger than your hand.  As stream temperatures warm up, I'm gonna be landing some fat pannies!  I love it when they hit like a bass and shake structure and slam the water.  I all honesty, even on a 3 wgt. today, I wasn't very impressed with those little guys - other than that large bluegill.  That bass I caught didn't fight much.

As I organized my fly boxes last night, I found myself placing smallmouth flies into them.  Today, I had to slow myself down.  I was rushing through my panfish holes and making my way to the smallmouth hangout.

I traded in the Blazer and am using a smaller SUV.  Therefore, instead of placing the kayak into the Blazer, I am going to put the kayak on top of my new vehicle.  And . . . I a have to keep a box in the back for my fishing gear.  After today's outing, I took off my waders and placed them in the box along with my muddy boots.  I also placed a towel over my seat.  The Blazer was 10 years old and was definitely more than used roughly.  Last week, I tried to access my favorite location but it was too muddy.  I had to turn around.  I am not used to passenger tires and AWD is not the same as four wheel drive.

That being said, I hope to hit new water on my kayak in the next week or so.  I do believe the bass will begin to move to their beds in April.  With the kids having only about 6 or 7 weeks left in school, my time hunting smallmouth is dwindling.

Tight lines!!!

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes the fish just don't want to be photographed. The bass is a nice substitute for a gill.

    ReplyDelete