Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Crappie on the Fly - Chartreuse Popping Bug

Memorial Day outing. It was overcast all day - misting and raining softly. I went out right before the sun came out at about 5 pm. The sunfish and bluegills were hitting my California Coachman and hitting my popping bug on every cast.

For the first time ever, I took crappie on a popping bug. What a surprise!
I would say it must be my year for crappie but I haven't landed that many - much less large ones. But I will take what I can get.

I landed a few decent size bluegills and a bigger than average one. The crappie were small with just one keeper.

This a a pic of a variation of the California Coachman. It's kind of torn up from landing so many panfish. I will update a proper picture - I used purple rubber hackle for the furls instead of peacock hurl. I think the orange throat is gone too. I can almost always count on this fly to land panfish.

No comments:

Post a Comment