Sunday, January 30, 2011

"Popping Bugs" - Custom Bass and Panfish foam bodies


https://joshs-flies.myshopify.com/

Pictured above, you will see a flip-flop which is being cut into smaller pieces. Pieces that will eventually end up in a fishes mouth. Yes, something that had a foot in it will tempt a fish to put himself onto a hook.

I have made bugs from flip-flops before. Some of those flies were created in a large cylindrical form for bass. But these foam bodies will be mainly for bluegill and probably the occasional bass. Last year, I did fairly well catching bass. I hit a couple of new locations and am happy with the results. It doesn't matter if it's a pond, a stream, or the local creek running through town, I am going to hammer those bluegills hard this year.

Stay tuned and I will show you how these foam wedges will turn into seemingly tasty morsels.





3 comments:

  1. Some guys I met from the Magnolia Fly Fishers in Jackson, MS swear by the flip flop popper. They told me they cut them out using an empty rifle/handgun cartridge (.44 caliber, 9 mm, or similar) that has been sharpened by putting it in a drill and sanding the edge razor sharp. Then you can use it to punch out perfect round bodies. If you try it let me know how it works... I should try it. I have some empties that would work... and some old flops that I saved. If I get around to it, I'll share on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use copper pipe/tubing with a sharpened end. I either twist the tube or use a hammer . . . sometimes both to get a foam cylinder out of a flip-flip.

    Here's a photo and link on my blog. http://purposehere.blogspot.com/2009/06/popping-bug-bass-fly-pattern-flip-flip.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool. I see you're way ahead of me.

    ReplyDelete