Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Lake Swepco Largemouth Bass

I landed my largest bass at Lake Swepco in January of 2004. Haven't forgot it either - never will. It was at least 20 inches long. The devil of a fighter on a GLoomis 8 wgt. rod.

I believe it was a Florida strain largemouth. That is what AGFC was or still is putting in the lake. And you couldn't take any bass from the lake. I guess you still are unable to do it.

The Gummy Minnow is the go-to fly for most guys on this lake during winter - warmed by the outflow from an electric plant on Flint Creek.

This fly, I believe is called the Beaux - a slight variation of a Tom Nixon pattern. I received this fly in 2003 or so in the mail from a fly swap. I haven't used it since. Afraid I might lose it.

Waiting for waters to warm up . . .

2 comments:

  1. Looks like a great, simple pattern! What's the wing made of?

    Beaux might also be a nod to the Parmachene Beau wet fly, which also used red and white.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The wing is made of some plastic or nylon material. I couldn't tell you. But I do think it originated from Parmachene Beau.

    ReplyDelete