Friday, December 7, 2012

Too much top-water action?


http://purposehere.blogspot.com/

I love topwater action.  When approaching a stream or certain location on a creek, I usually begin drifting a topwater pattern.  I then move to a streamer.  Sometime, I begin with a delicate approach and use a fly such as an Elk Hair Hopper or smaller foam pattern.  I really have to be mindful of my cast.  Due to some of the nasty and bushy areas I fish and on smaller streams, I am used to making abrupt forward casts with a push out on the end with my thumb and forearm as to throw out more line - since I couldn't let more line out on the backcast.  I also cast in sort of in a sidearm motion.  I have a lousy loop and my casts are usually not delicate.  Hope that makes sense.

Even when approaching deep holes and knowing that more then likely, I need a heavy fly, I stick with topwater flies.  To me, this is the most exhilarating way to catch fish.  I love the way a fish pops, sucks, slashes or pounces on a fly.  Especially, when it is the moment a fly lands on the water.

When possible, I slowly mend the line.  Tossing out streamers and stripping line in can honestly wear out an arm.  Drifting is more relaxing.  My breathing does tend to slow down and at times, I find myself holding my breath in anticipation of a strike.

I find myself trying to work a section of stream a lot longer than the average fisherman.  I see folks casting and walking or hanging out just a few moments in one spot.  Me, I tend to spend hours on a  small section of stream.  I'll start forwards and work the stream backwards as I head home.  When I see loads of fish, I usually try and find a strategy.

This next year, I have a plan (and hope to be dilligent) to fish longer stretches of a stream, and to fish deeper holes . . . and to cast larger streamers and flies in the hopes of landing larger smallmouth bass.  My fly boxes will always hold topwater fly patterns.

I had someone asked my why I had put feathers on a foam topwater fly when it wasn't necessary to do so.  I mentioned that it would sell more flies.  I thought the fly looked better.  It looked a bit more like a bass fly instead of a foam bluegill bug.  In essence, those feathers give my topwater flies life.

No comments:

Post a Comment